Meatball Sub Casserole

Wednesday, January 07, 2015

Once a week I take my older son Daniel to his Autism therapy and get home around 5:30 pm.  I need dinner ideas that are super easy to throw together during my baby's nap time and throw in the oven or in the crock pot.  This recipe is awesome because I can prep it during nap and have the sitter put it in the oven so it is ready to eat when we get home from therapy.  You can use whatever meatballs you like for this recipe- if I have time I make mine quickly from scratch, or I also like to use the Aidelle's meatballs you can get at Costco.  You can also use frozen meatballs.  I always have meatballs on hand in the freezer because they are so versatile and easy to prepare ahead of time and freeze.  There are lots of different versions of this casserole out there on the Internet.  Here's my version!  Every time I make this it gets eaten up quickly!

Meatball Sub Casserole

  • 4-6 slices of French bread (depending on size of the slices- I use the same bread that I use for my bbq sloppy joes on garlic toasts - but you could use a French loaf from the grocery store or whatever you like)
  • 2 cups spaghetti sauce
  • 1 lb meatballs (about 30 meatballs) - (as mentioned earlier you can use whatever meatballs you like- homemade, frozen, refrigerated, turkey, chicken, beef, whatever you have on hand...I like to make meatballs in large batches and freeze them, I also like the Aidelle's chicken meatballs that are in the refrigerated section at Costco).
  • 1 cup ricotta
  • 1 clove garlic, minced
  • 1/2 tsp. dried Italian herbs, crushed
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • 1/2 cup grated parmesan 
  • 1 cup grated mozzarella
Preheat oven to 350 degrees and spray a 13 X 9 inch baking dish with cooking spray (or grease with butter).  If your meatballs are frozen, defrost them.  Arrange the bread in a single layer in your baking dish.  In a small bowl, mix together the ricotta with half of the parmesan, dried herbs, garlic, salt, and pepper.  Spread ricotta mixture evenly over the bread.  Arrange the meatballs evenly over the bread and ricotta mixture.  Pour the sauce evenly over the meatballs and spread to cover them.  Top with the rest of the parmesan and mozzarella.  Cover with foil and bake 25 minutes, then uncover and bake an additional 5 minutes or until the cheese is bubbly.  

0 comments:

The Foodie Mommie Copyright © 2009 Designed by Ipietoon Blogger Template for Bie Blogger Template Vector by DaPino