BBQ Sloppy Joes on Garlic Toast

Friday, March 21, 2014

This recipe is one that is a favorite in my house!  It's super easy and a definite crowd pleaser!  I found something similar on Pinterest awhile back and cleaned it up to fit my family.  I make my garlic toasts out of loaves of homemade bread, but you can use a store bought bakery loaf.  I use Steamy Kitchen's recipe to make my bread, but to make life easier, I mix the dough in my bread machine on the dough setting.  When making garlic toasts for this recipe I make one large loaf instead of two smaller ones. 

BBQ Sloppy Joes on Garlic Toasts

For the Garlic Toasts:

  • 1 loaf of French bread or sourdough bread
  • 1/2 stick butter, softened
  • 1 clove garlic, minced
  • 1/2 tsp Italian herbs
Preheat oven to 400 degrees.  In a small bowl, mix together the butter, garlic, and herbs. Cut the bread into 8 slices of about 1/4 to 1/2 inch thick and line on a cookie sheet or baking pan (I use a stone bar pan for this).  Spread the butter mixture evenly over each slice of bread.  Bake 10-15 minutes or until slightly golden and toasted.






For the Meat:
  • 1 lb ground turkey (or you could use beef if you want, I just happen to prefer turkey)
  • 1/2 small onion, chopped
  • 1 clove garlic, minced
  • 1/2 c ketchup (I use Annie's or Muir Glen if I don't make my own)
  • 1/4 c barbecue sauce (I use Annie's)
  • 1 can diced tomatoes (I get the organic ones at Costco or use Muir Glen)
  • 2 tbsp brown sugar
  • Optional- 1/2 c grated cheddar cheese (I use Tillamook)
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • grape seed oil (or olive oil- but not extra virgin) for cooking
In a large, deep sided skillet cook the onion and garlic in the oil until sweating.  Add the turkey and cook until no

longer pink.  Add the ketchup, bbq sauce, brown sugar, and tomatoes.  Cook on medium high heat, stirring occasionally, until the mixture is thick.  Add the cheese, if using, and stir until melted.  

To assemble your meal- place a garlic toast on your plate and spoon the meat mixture over the top!  Easy!  YUM!

Happy and Clean cooking!!


0 comments:

The Foodie Mommie Copyright © 2009 Designed by Ipietoon Blogger Template for Bie Blogger Template Vector by DaPino