Vanilla Scones

Sunday, March 16, 2014



Since my coffee last week, I have had a lot of requests for my scone recipe!  I decided to make scones this morning for our family breakfast, so I thought it would be the perfect time to post the recipe!  I also use the same recipe to make lemon scones and white chocolate.  Just replace the vanilla extract with lemon extract, add some fresh lemon zest, and 1/2 cup white chocolate chunks.   I serve these with my luscious Meyer Lemon Curd , butter, and jam! YUM!  

Just a funny little aside...my 5 year old son (who has high functioning Autism) calls the scones "catacombs."  No clue why...but I guarantee you these scones are soft and crumbly, not hard like bones :).

Vanilla Scones

  • 2 cups all purpose flour (I use Bob's Red Mill Organic Unbleached and Unbromated flour)
  • 1 stick cold butter cut into slices
  • 1/3 cup sugar
  • 1 tsp. baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1/4 tsp. baking soda
  • 1/2 cup sour cream
  • 1 egg
  • 1 tbsp butter, melted
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1 tbsp raw sugar (if you can't find raw sugar then you can use regular granulated)
Preheat oven to 400 degrees.  I use my KitchenAid so...in the bowl of your stand mixer (KitchenAid) put the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt and mix on low speed using the paddle attachment just until mixed together.  Add the stick of butter (cut up) and turn your mixer back on until the mixture resembles course crumbs.  Add the egg, the sour cream, and the vanilla and mix until the dough comes together.  It will be slightly sticky.  I have a scone pan so I just press the dough into each triangle in the pan, but if you don't have a fancy scone pan, you can press the dough out into a circle and use a pizza cutter to cut it into triangles.  Brush the triangles with the melted butter and sprinkle with the raw sugar.  Bake 15-18 minutes or until golden brown on top and very soft in the middle (you can check if they are done by sticking them in the middle with a cake tester that comes out clean). Let cool for about 5 minutes before serving.  

Happy and Clean Cooking!

0 comments:

The Foodie Mommie Copyright © 2009 Designed by Ipietoon Blogger Template for Bie Blogger Template Vector by DaPino