Requested Ragu Recipe

Monday, December 09, 2013

Last week I posted that I was making this delicious slow cooker ragu in my crock pot on Facebook.  I got a few requests for the recipe!  Unfortunately, I hadn't planned on blogging about it since it was the first time I had made it, so I didn't get a picture.  I will definitely update this post with a picture next time I make it.  It was SOOOOOO good!

Slow Cooker Ragu
  • 1 small onion, chopped
  • 2 carrots, finely chopped
  • 1 rib celery, finely chopped
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 lb ground sirloin or ground turkey (I used ground turkey because I had that on hand)
  • 1 lb mild Italian sausage (you can use the hot if you like that, we just don't like spicy foods in our house-  well...David does, but Daniel and I don't).  
  • 8 oz. pancetta, chopped 
  • 6 oz. can tomato paste
  • 10 oz can crushed tomatoes
  • 1 cup wine (you can use white or red- I used pinot gris because that is what I had on hand but you could use merlot or cab - just nothing too sweet)
  • 1 tsp. Italian herbs
  • salt and pepper to taste
Saute the pancetta until crisp and pour it, along with it's grease in the crock of your slow cooker.  To the same pan you used to sauté the pancetta, add the ground sirloin or turkey, cook until browned and drain.  Pour into the crock of your slow cooker.  Next cook the Italian sausage in that same pan, do not drain.  Put it in the crock of your slow cooker.  
 -Note- it is important to cook the meat before putting it in your slow cooker, otherwise it will turn out runny, soft, and greasy.
Add the rest of the ingredients to the crock and stir well.  Place the lid and set the slow cooker to low for 6-8 hours.  

Serve over noodles with a sprinkling of parmesan!  

This was SOOOOOOOO yummy!  I froze most of the leftovers because it makes a lot of sauce.  Delicious!

Until next time, happy and healthy cooking!

0 comments:

The Foodie Mommie Copyright © 2009 Designed by Ipietoon Blogger Template for Bie Blogger Template Vector by DaPino