NO VELVEETA Crock Pot Mac and Cheese

Saturday, August 31, 2013

I like to think of myself as a mac and cheese aficionado.  I mean, I LOVE macaroni and cheese.  And I'm not talking about the boxed kind, that doesn't count.  I am talking about the ooey, gooey, yummy, homemade kind.  Unfortunately most people feel the need to put Velveeta in their mac and cheese, which is unacceptable to me.  Some people argue that you don't get the smooth, creamy texture if you don't add the Velveeta.  That may be true, there may be a little separation from the cheese, but it still tastes fabulous!  Anyway, mac and cheese is hands down my favorite food.  It is perfect in my eyes, and I make a darned good pot of mac and cheese if I do say so myself.  But then I came across mac and cheese in the crock pot!  Now of course, all the recipes called for Velveeta, which was just a challenge to me to clean them up!  So here is my version.  There was some separation from the cheese, but let me tell you, it tasted FABULOUS and nobody was complaining in my house!

NO VELVEETA Crock Pot Mac and Cheese

  • 1 box elbow macaroni, cooked according to package directions (I cooked it in chicken stock for more flavor)
  • 32 oz blocks of your favorite cheese (I used 16 oz of cheddar, and 16 of pepper jack), cut into cubes
  • 16 oz cream cheese, cut into cubes
  • 1 stick of cold butter, cut into cubes
  • 2 cups whole milk
Layer half of the macaroni in the crock of your crock pot then layer with half of the cheese and half of the butter.  Do a second layer of macaroni, cheese, and butter.  Pour the milk over the top.  Cover and cook on low for 2 hours, stir halfway through.  Yummy, creamy, delicious, ooey, gooey, mac and cheese.  YUMMMMMM!

Until next time, happy and healthy cooking!

0 comments:

The Foodie Mommie Copyright © 2009 Designed by Ipietoon Blogger Template for Bie Blogger Template Vector by DaPino