Slow Cooker Chicken and Tortillas

Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Hello Everyone!
I hope you have all been enjoying the last part of your summer!  It's still hot here in Iowa, I am hoping the air will cool off soon and we might get a little more consistent rain!  I love rain, it is an amazing gift! Rain makes me happy.  If there is too much sun, I tend to shy away from the outside.  I love to hear the sound of the rain on the roof when I am going to sleep, I love to sit out on the porch and watch the rain fall. I love to feel the raindrops on my face.  I guess it is the North westerner in me...I always say, you can take the girl out of Seattle, but you can't take the Seattle out of the girl!
Anyway, I apologize for this hiatus I have been on.  I went back to work part time, teaching French and working in the local district's Home School Assistance Program.  It's been really fun so far and very flexible, which is good because then I can be at home most of the time with Daniel still.  
Today's recipe is one that I just threw together and it turned out SO YUMMY!  I call it Slow Cooker Chicken and Tortillas.  Basically, I took what I had on hand and made a fabulous meal.  Check it out, I am sure you will love it too!


Slow Cooker Chicken and Tortillas

  • 4 large, boneless, skinless chicken breasts
  • 1 large green pepper, roughly chopped
  • 1 large red pepper, roughly chopped
  • 1 medium onion, chopped
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 can diced green chilies
  • 1 cup cream of chicken soup (or 1 10oz can...be sure that if you are using a can you make sure that it is HFCS and MSG free- HyVee brand is good).
  • 1/2 cup salsa
  • 1 envelope taco seasoning mix (again, MSG free)
  • 10 fajita sized flour tortillas, warmed
  • 2 cups long grain, brown rice, cooked
  • shredded cheddar and/or jack cheese, sour cream, olives, extra salsa (for serving, optional)
Place the chicken, peppers, onions, green chilies and garlic in the crock of your slow cooker.  In a bowl, mix together the cream of chicken soup, salsa, and taco seasoning mix.  Pour over the chicken and vegetables.  Set your slow cooker to low and cook 4-6 hours.  Shred the chicken using two forks.  Spook chicken mixture into warm tortillas with brown rice.  Garnish with cheese, sour cream, olives and/or extra salsa if desired.  YUM!

Until next time, happy and HEALTHY cooking and EATING!

0 comments:

The Foodie Mommie Copyright © 2009 Designed by Ipietoon Blogger Template for Bie Blogger Template Vector by DaPino