Broccoli Cheese Lasagna Rolls

Sunday, August 28, 2011

Hello Everyone!  I hope all of you are well out there in the blogosphere!  I went shopping for new work clothes today.  I realized that after three years of being a stay at home mom, I pretty much live in sweat pants and unfortunately most of my really nice work clothes either don't fit me anymore, or I got rid of them.  So I had to go shopping.  Oh too bad, right?  Haha.  
Anyway, awhile back I posted a recipe for Ham and Cheese Lasagna rolls.  I had a reader ask me what other kinds of lasagna rolls I make, and specifically asked for a vegetarian option.  As it happens I also make these yummy broccoli cheese rolls.  They are SO good and really easy!  I hope you will give them a try!


Broccoli Cheese Lasagna Rolls

  • 1 box lasagna noodles, cooked according to package directions and drained and rinsed with cold water.
  • 3 cups milk
  • 1/2 cup flour
  • 3 tbsp. butter
  • 1 tsp. salt (I like to use the Himalayan and Sea Salt mixture from Pampered Chef)
  • 1 tbsp. dijon mustard
  • 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
  • 1/4 tsp. nutmeg
  • 2 cups broccoli florets, steamed until very soft
  • 1 cup carrots, chopped and steamed until very soft (I steam the broccoli and the carrots together)
  • 2 cups shredded sharp white cheddar cheese (I like to use the Kerrygold Irish Cheddar but you could also use mozzarella, jack, or even swiss)
  • 1/2 cup parmesan, grated
Preheat oven to 350 degrees and spray a 13X9 inch baking dish generously with cooking spray.  While you are preparing your lasagna noodles according to package directions, make a béchamel sauce.   To make a béchamel, melt the butter in a large saucepan over medium heat.  Add the flour and whisk the two together until they are fully incorporated and become slightly fragrant (this happens quickly so be sure not to burn it).  Slowly add the milk 1/2 cup at a time, whisking constantly adding more milk only when the mixture becomes thick enough to coat the back of a spoon.  Once all the milk is added, add the dijon, the nutmeg, the pepper, and the salt.   Continue to whisk while adding the parmesan cheese.  You should have approximately 3 cups of béchamel.  To assemble the lasagna rolls, add about 1 cup of the béchamel to the carrots and broccoli and stir until well mixed.  Your broccoli should be "mushy."  Spread 1 cup of the béchamel on on the bottom of your 13X9 baking dish and reserve the last cup to spread over the top of the rolls.  Take a lasagna noodle and lay it out on your work surface.  Spread the broccoli carrot mixture in a layer on top of the noodle (a good tablespoonful) and then top with sprinkled cheese (be sure to save enough cheese to top the rolls at the end).  Roll up the lasagna noodle and place seam side down in the baking dish.  Repeat with remaining noodles (this makes about 12 rolls).  Top rolls with remaining béchamel and remaining cheese.  Bake covered 45 minutes then remove cover and bake an additional 5 minutes or until cheese is bubbly and starting to brown.  Enjoy!  YUM!

Until next time, happy and HEALTHY cooking and EATING!

0 comments:

The Foodie Mommie Copyright © 2009 Designed by Ipietoon Blogger Template for Bie Blogger Template Vector by DaPino