Oatmeal with Dried Fruit

Wednesday, November 03, 2010



Oatmeal is one of my breakfast favorites.  It is easy to prepare, inexpensive, and so versatile.    I use whatever dried fruit I have on hand (which is usually apricots, dried cherries, and raisins) and sometimes I toss in some chopped pecans for good measure. I usually make up a huge pan of oatmeal and then store it in the fridge during the week for a quick breakfast. I am lucky because Daniel LOVES, LOVES oatmeal!  He calls it "eelmeel." I make oatmeal for breakfast in the fall and winter because it makes me feel all warm and cozy, and that is definitely a plus here in the midwest.

Oatmeal with Dried Fruit
  • 2 cups rolled oats
  • 4 cups water
  • 3 tbsp. butter
  • 1/4 cup honey
  • 1 cup dried fruit (I use whatever I have on hand, today it was chopped apricots and raisins, but sometimes I use dried cherries and apricots, or crasins and apricots)
  • 1 tsp. cinnamon 
  • 1/4 cup chopped pecans (if desired)
  • milk for serving
In a medium saucepan, bring the water to a rolling boil over high heat.  Turn the heat down to medium and add the oats, butter, honey, fruit, and cinnamon.  Simmer, stirring frequently, about 10 minutes or until the oatmeal has thickened and the dried fruit has reconstituted.  Add in the pecans if using.  I like to serve this with a little bit of milk.

You can also substitute steel cut oats for the rolled oats and do this in the crock pot.  

Until next time, happy and HEALTHY cooking and EATING!

0 comments:

The Foodie Mommie Copyright © 2009 Designed by Ipietoon Blogger Template for Bie Blogger Template Vector by DaPino