Clean Ketchup and a RANT about ANNIE'S HOMEGROWN!

Thursday, September 11, 2014

I am highly upset today over Annie's Homegrown selling out to General Mills.  We buy almost nothing processed but Annie's was one of those companies I still supported.  My boys LOVE the Annie's Bunnies and I felt ok about letting them have them every once in awhile.  But....IS NOTHING SACRED ANYMORE?  I mean REALLY!  It really irks me that all these large corporations buying up the small organic brands to make themselves look good when we all know what they're REALLY up to.  I mean, it saddens me, but I can no longer support Annie's Homegrown and buy their products anymore.  Annie's representatives swear up and down that they will stay true to their mission and true to their ingredients, however, how can we really trust that when they are now owned by a company that is in bed with Monsanto? A company that paid millions of dollars AGAINST GMO labeling.  The fact of the matter is, now when we buy Annie's our money is going to General Mills.  And let's face it, General Mills will eventually win over Annie's mission because the almighty dollar will speak.  They will find a way to make Annie's products cheaper and essentially that will mean adding unsavory ingredients to their products.  It's only a matter of time.  And even if they manage to stay true to their mission, the principal of the sell out is what speaks here.  Even if they stay true to their mission, the money we spend on Annie's will go to supporting the exact OPPOSITE of what Annie's stands for.  Plus, I felt better about supporting the little guy...So...I am going to speak with my wallet.  I will no longer buy Annie's Homegrown, and it saddens me because they were actually a company I felt good about supporting.  Another note along those lines- I just found an App for my phone called Buycott, which has information on all sorts of products and the companies that own them.  You can select all sorts of "conflicts" you have (such as use of GMOs, supporting campaigns against same sex marriage, use of HFCS, etc) and it will tell you if the company that owns the product supports anything you are against in great detail!  I LOVE this app!  

Now, onto ketchup.  You will notice on many of my posts, if a recipe calls for Ketchup, I usually mention that I use Annie's.  Annie's Ketchup is what I buy.  We go through a lot of ketchup in this house and so when I found out this week that Annie's was bought out by General Mills, I thought I'd better learn to make ketchup!  And learn to make ketchup I DID!  I tried several different recipes, took the best from all of them, added a little bit of Elizabeth flair, and THIS was the result:

Clean Ketchup


  • 6 oz tomato paste
  • 1/2 cup white vinegar
  • 1/2 cup water
  • 2 tbsp brown sugar - (note- I tried making it with honey instead and my husband thought it tasted like a "dirty sweat sock."  I didn't mind the taste with the honey but since David didn't like it I tried the sugar instead and it WAS better.  This is one case where I will use sugar instead of honey).
  • 1 tsp onion powder
  • 1/2 tsp granulated garlic
Whisk all ingredients together in a small saucepan and bring to a slow boil.  Turn heat down to low and simmer, stirring very often, for 20 minutes.  Remove from heat and allow to cool slightly.  If you want a very smooth and shiny ketchup, you can press it through a mesh strainer, otherwise it is excellent as is.  I store mine in a mason jar in the fridge.  YUM!

0 comments:

The Foodie Mommie Copyright © 2009 Designed by Ipietoon Blogger Template for Bie Blogger Template Vector by DaPino