Cinnamon Raisin Sourdough

Thursday, September 18, 2014

Today I baked two loaves of Cinnamon Raisin Sourdough.  A few weeks ago my mom's best friend told me about this recipe she'd seen on King Arthur Flour so I went to check it out! The first two times I made this bread, I did it exactly as the King Arthur recipe read, then the third time I made it, I decided to mess with it...in true Elizabeth fashion.  I gave a loaf of my version to a friend of mine and she asked me to blog the recipe, so here I am!  I have made my version two more times, including today and it's SO delicious!  YUM!

Cinnamon Raisin Sourdough
makes two loaves

For the dough:

  • 1 1/3 cup milk
  • 1 cup FED sourdough starter 
  • 1 stick butter, softened
  • 2 eggs
  • 2 1/2 tsp salt
  • 2 tbsp honey (or you can use sugar)
  • 6 cups bread flour
  • 5 tsp. yeast
For the filling
  • 1 egg + 1 tbsp water, beaten 
  • 1/2 cup brown sugar
  • 1 tbsp cinnamon
  • 1 tbsp flour
  • 1/2 cup raisins

  • 1 tbsp butter to brush on the top after the loaves have baked
Place all the dough ingredients in your bread machine in the EXACT ORDER LISTED and set to dough cycle.  When the dough cycle is done, preheat your oven to 350 degrees.  Turn the dough out onto a VERY LIGHTLY floured surface and lightly coat your hands in flour.  








Punch down dough. Break dough in half and then form each half into a ball and allow to rest for 5 minutes.  While dough is resting, mix the brown sugar, cinnamon, and flour in a small bowl and set aside.  Grease two loaf pans and set aside. Starting with one dough ball,  punch the dough out into a large rectangle with the short side facing you (about 16 X 20 inches).  Brush the egg wash onto the dough with a pastry brush or spread on with a spoon. Sprinkle with cinnamon mixture and top with raisins.  Carefully roll up the dough into a log.  Pinch the seam closed and fold the ends over and pinch closed. 



Place in loaf pan seam side down.  Repeat with second dough ball.  Cover loaves with a clean kitchen cloth and allow to proof until doubled in size, about 30 minutes (I like to let my loaves proof on top of the preheating oven).  Place in the oven and bake 40-45 minutes or until the internal temperature of the loaf reaches 190 degrees (this is important because this will ensure your loaf is full cooked and will not be dense).   Remove the bread from the oven and brush the top with butter (I just use softened butter because it melts on contact with the bread and spread it on with my pastry brush- this gives it a nice soft crust which is good for this type of bread).  Allow to cool 5-10 minutes then carefully remove the loaves from the pans.  























Until next time, happy and HEALTHY cooking!

0 comments:

The Foodie Mommie Copyright © 2009 Designed by Ipietoon Blogger Template for Bie Blogger Template Vector by DaPino