Leftover Mashed Potato Gnocchi

Saturday, November 23, 2013

With Thanksgiving coming up, I am sure everyone is looking for new and different ways to use leftovers. One of my favorite uses for leftover mashed potatoes is Gnocchi.  I LOVE gnocchi.  It's one of my favorite Italian dishes.  It's also REALLY easy, especially if you cheat and use leftover mashed potatoes.  Now, I have a more "authentic" gnocchi recipe, that I love to make, but if you want quicker gnocchi without having to use your potato ricer, here's a great alternative!  You can use any mashed potatoes you have on hand.

The trick with these is to use one part flour to two parts potatoes, then add more flour to make the dough less sticky.  So if you have 1 cup potatoes, you use 1/2 cup flour, then add more flour until it's not sticky anymore.  

Leftover Mashed Potato Gnocchi

  • Mashed Potatoes (typically I have about 2 cups leftover)
  • Flour (use half the amount of flour than you have of potatoes, so if you have two cups of potatoes, use one cup flour- plus keep more on hand in case your dough is sticky)
  • 1 egg
Mix the flour, potatoes, and egg together until a soft dough forms.  If the dough is sticky add more flour until it is no longer sticky- but not dry.



Roll the dough into a ball and cut in half, then in fourths.  

Roll each fourth into a long log and cut into equal pieces.  














I like to roll the dough on my gnocchi roller to make the traditional lines, but you can just leave them as is after you cut them.  




Bring a large pot of water to a rolling boil and salt the water.   Drop the gnocchi in the water and boil for about 3 minutes or until the gnocchi float to the top. As soon as they float (and I mean the second they float and not a second more than that), drain and top with your favorite sauce and parmesan cheese!  Tonight I served them with pesto!  YUM!

What do you like to do with your leftovers?  I love getting ideas!


I hope you all enjoy your Thanksgiving holiday!  

Until next time, happy and healthy eating!

0 comments:

The Foodie Mommie Copyright © 2009 Designed by Ipietoon Blogger Template for Bie Blogger Template Vector by DaPino