Tonight I made Chicken Souvlaki sandwiches. I got this recipe from Betty Crocker and made a few changes. You will find my changes to the recipe in RED.
Chicken Souvlaki Sandwiches
- 3 cups chopped cooked chicken (I used a roasted chicken)
- 1 cup chopped peeled cucumber
- 1/3 cup finely chopped red onion (I can't eat raw onion, not even raw green onion so I roasted the onions in the oven and then finely chopped them. Raw onion literally makes me sick, I don't know why, but I just can't eat it).
- 1/3 cup sour cream
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh dill weed
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise or salad dressing
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar (I was out of red wine vinegar so I substituted apple cider vinegar)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 6 pita fold breads (5 inch) (I used the folditbread and it worked perfectly!)
- The original recipe also called for 1/3 cup crumbled feta cheese, but I do not like feta, so I left it out.
In medium bowl, place all ingredients except pita breads; toss until evenly coated. Divide mixture evenly down center of each pita bread; fold in half.
STAY COOL, and until next time, happy and HEALTHY cooking and EATING!