Slow Cooker Country Beef Stew

Saturday, October 02, 2010

I adapted this Beef Stew recipe from a recipe I found in my Betty Crocker Cookbook.  Although I like Betty Crocker's version, I happen to have a VERY hard time following a recipe without changing it in some way.  This meal is really easy on the pocketbook and makes great leftovers! Here's my version of Slow Cooker Country Beef Stew.


Slow Cooker Country Beef Stew


2 lbs beef, cut into 1 inch pieces I used bottom round steaks but you can use whatever cut you have, even a roast or beef stew meat
1 onion, chopped
3 cups baby carrots or three carrots, chopped
2 stocks celery, chopped
1 cup dry white wine
3/4 cup beef broth
1/4 cup flour (I like to use Wondra but you can use all purpose if that is what you have on hand)
1 tbsp. herbes de provence (or dried thyme, rosemary, marjoram, oregano, and basil)
1 can diced tomatoes
1 package mushrooms, sliced (optional- I LOVE them but David doesn't so I leave them out)
1/2 cup julienne cut sun dried tomatoes (not packed in oil)
2 tbsp. worcestershire sauce
1 tbsp. dijon mustard
1 tbsp. granulated garlic
Hot cooked egg noodles, rice, or potatoes for serving


Combine the carrots, onion, celery mushrooms (if using) and beef in the bottom of your slow cooker.  In a medium sized bowl (I like to use my Pampered Chef Classic Batter Bowl for this type of task), whisk together the wine, broth, flour, herbes de provence, diced tomatoes, worcestershire sauce, mustard, and garlic.  Pour over the meat and vegetables in the slow cooker.  Set to low and cook for 7 hours.  Add the sun dried tomatoes and cook another 30 minutes on high.  Serve over egg noodles (my preference), rice, or  potatoes and garnish with fresh parsley if desired!


Until next time, happy and HEALTHY cooking and EATING!

0 comments:

The Foodie Mommie Copyright © 2009 Designed by Ipietoon Blogger Template for Bie Blogger Template Vector by DaPino