Playing Catch-Up - Pork Chops in Apricot Sauce

Friday, August 20, 2010

Happy Friday Friends!  I hope you all have been enjoying your week!  Things have been hectic with us.  David is currently working the night shift rotation of his rotating shifts.  That is always hard because he works all night then has to sleep during the day.  Daniel and I are pretty much on our own those days.  Anyway, so now my little Boonelet is in bed and I am sitting here with my cup of tea, resisting the urge I have had the last couple of days to just veg in front of the television.  
As many of you may know, I am not a huge fan of pork chops, but every once in awhile when there is a good price on them, I buy some for the freezer to add some variety to my weekly menus.  This pork chop recipe is one I came up with when I was fiddling around with flavors one day.  This sauce also pairs quite nicely with chicken.  It is the perfect balance of sweet and savory.  I served it over brown rice, but egg noodles or couscous are also quite good.  


Pork Chops in Apricot Sauce



  • 4 pork chops (I used boneless tenderloin chops but any cut works just fine)
  • 5 slices uncured bacon, chopped (uncooked)
  • 1 small onion, chopped
  • 1/2 cup apple cider
  • 1 tbsp. good dijon mustard
  • 1/4 cup apricot preserves
  • salt and pepper to taste
In a large deep sided skillet, saute the bacon to render the fat.  When bacon is done, remove from the pan (leaving fat) and set aside (allow to drain on paper towels - I added this to my green beans on the side, you can add it back in with the pork if you want or do something else with it later).  Sprinkle the pork chops generously with salt and pepper on each side.  Saute in bacon fat 3-5 minutes on each side or until well browned and crispy.  Remove and set aside, keep warm.  Add the onions to the pan and saute until translucent, about 5 minutes.  Add the apple cider and deglaze the pan.  Cook until reduced by half another 2-3 minutes.  Add the rest of the ingredients and whisk together to combine.  Add the pork chops back into the pan and cover.  Simmer on medium low heat until pork is cooked through, turning occasionally and stirring to sauce to prevent it from scorching.    Serve with rice, noodles, couscous or your favorite side dish!


Thanks to all of you who have taken the time to comment on my posts!  As always, I truly appreciate it!  
I am working hard on The Foodie Mommie Store which should be opening very soon, I am just ironing out some last details!  

Until next time, happy and HEALTHY cooking and EATING!


1 comments:

Tiffanee said...

Yum! Sounds like a delicious flavor combination.

The Foodie Mommie Copyright © 2009 Designed by Ipietoon Blogger Template for Bie Blogger Template Vector by DaPino