The Famous Cabbage Chicken Salad
- 1 large or 2 small heads green cabbage, washed and chopped
- 2 packages crunchy Chinese noodles broken up(like Top Ramen, however I do not use Top Ramen because of all the horrible ingredients from which it is made. I have found another brand, although I cannot recall it off the top of my head that has only three ingredients. You can use Ramen, that is what was always used when I was a kid. Just look around the Ramen noodles, there are other choices and pick what you like). Discard the seasoning packet.
- 1 cup slivered almonds
- 3 tbsp. sesame seeds
- 2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1/4 cup rice wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup oil (I use olive oil or vegetable oil)
- 2 tbsp. hot and sweet mustard
- 1 tbsp. sugar
- 1/2 tsp. sesame oil
Place chicken in a large saucepan and fill with water or chicken stock just to cover the chicken. Poach the chicken for about 15-20 minutes over medium heat until it is cooked through. Remove the chicken from the poaching liquid and chop or shred. Place in the refrigerator to cool. Heat your oven to 400 degrees and spray a cookie sheet generously with cooking spray. Spread out the noodles, the almonds, and the sesame seeds. Cook in the oven for about 5 minutes or until browned and toasted. Remove from oven and let stand to cool. Place the cabbage in a VERY LARGE bowl (I am not kidding, VERY LARGE). Add the cooled chicken and crunchies to the cabbage. In a smaller bowl, mix together the vinegars, the mustard and the sugar, whisk vigorously while streaming in the oils. Pour over the salad and mix well until combined. This is SOOOOO good. If desired, serve with hot and crusty bread. Yummmy!
And just because he is so darned cute, here is a picture of my little man getting ready to go on a bike ride!