- 1 small head cabbage chopped (I use green cabbage but I am sure any variety would work just fine.
- 1 lb ground turkey (or beef if you would prefer)
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 cup small pasta like orzo, dilatini, or ancini de pepe
- 2 cups tomato pasta sauce (I used Newman's Own last night but if I have my own I use that)
- 1 cup water
- 1 lb baby spinach
- 1 tbsp. italian herbs
- 1 tbsp. granulated garlic (or 4 cloves minced garlic)
- 1 green pepper, chopped
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese, grated
- 1/2 cup good parmesan cheese, grated
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Spray a 13X9 inch baking dish generously with cooking spray. Layer the cabbage and spinach along the bottom of the baking dish. Set aside. In a large skillet with deep sides, heat the olive oil over medium high heat. Add the onions and green pepper and saute until starting to sweat. Add the turkey, the garlic, and the italian herbs and cook until turkey is browned. Add the pasta and stir just to combine. Pour this mixture over the cabbage and spinach. In a small bowl, mix together pasta sauce and water. Pour over the meat and move the meat and cabbage around with a spoon just enough to allow the sauce to seep through to the bottom. Top with the cheese. Cover and bake for 45 minutes to an hour, until the cabbage is cooked and the pasta is tender. Uncover during the last 15 minutes of baking to allow the cheese to brown slightly. Serve. It's yummy, I promise!
Until next time, happy and HEALTHY cooking and EATING!