Sandwich Sunday (Slow cooker pork and slaw sandwiches)

Sunday, May 02, 2010

Ok so this summer I have made a change. As I mentioned in a previous post, during the winter we have Soup Sunday in our house and usually in the spring and summer we have Salad Sunday. However, I found myself getting slightly bored with salad and decided that during the spring and summer we would do Sandwich OR Salad Sunday. I really like hot sandwiches and there are so many possibilities out there for sandwich ideas. Tonight I made a really yummy pork and slaw sandwich. It was super easy as the pork cooked in the slow cooker all day. I served it with extra coleslaw and oven fries. I found this recipe on All Recipes, but of course made a few minor changes. That is just how I am, I have to put my own creative spin on recipes. The meat came out really tender and juicy. For the coleslaw I just bought a salad mix. Dole has one that is fairly decent and I added some chopped mini sweet peppers to it for a little added flavor. Anyway, I hope you enjoy!


Pork and Slaw Sandwiches



  • 1 4-5 lb pork tenderloin or pork shoulder roast (I actually used 4 thick boneless pork tenderloin chops because that is what I had on hand).
  • 1 medium onion, sliced
  • 3/4 cup cider vinegar
  • 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
  • 1/2 tsp. salt
  • 1/2 tsp. crushed red pepper
  • 1/4 tsp. black pepper
  • Enough large rolls for each person eating - this will serve up to 16 people (like kaiser rolls, hamburger buns, etc.) split and toasted
Place meat and onion into the slow cooker. In a small bowl combine the rest of the ingredients except the rolls and pour over the meat. Cover and cook on low setting for 10-12 hours or on high setting 5-6 hours. Transfer meat to a cutting board and pull apart. Put meat back in the slow cooker and coat with the juices. Arrange meat on roll bottoms, top with coleslaw and add roll tops.

I put some of the leftovers in the fridge for David to take to work with him for lunch tomorrow. The rest of the leftovers I froze for another meal.

Until next time, happy and HEALTHY cooking!






0 comments:

The Foodie Mommie Copyright © 2009 Designed by Ipietoon Blogger Template for Bie Blogger Template Vector by DaPino