Cheater's Spinach and Bacon Quiche

Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Quiche is the perfect light dinner for a hot evening.  It requires minimal prep, can be made ahead of time, and can be eaten cold or hot.  I call this "cheater's" quiche because I have added some shortcuts to make it even quicker and easier.  I actually learned to make quiche this way from my French mother, but when I am entertaining I take the extra time (however minute) and make it like a French boulanger (namely by making my own quiche pastry) and I use expensive quality French cheese like comte or gruyere.  For this quicker version of quiche, I use a store bought pie crust, I substitute sour cream for heavy cream, and I use regular old swiss cheese.  I have to tell you, even with the shortcuts, it tastes divine!


Cheater's Spinach and Bacon Quiche

  • 1 refrigerated pie crust
  • 1 bag fresh spinach, steamed, drained and chopped (you can also use a box of frozen chopped spinach)
  • 1/2 onion, finely chopped
  • 1 cup swiss cheese, grated
  • 6 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled (I use turkey bacon and microwave between two paper towels for 1 minute per slice - you can use pork, and microwaving is the same)
  • 1 tbsp. herbes de provence
  • 1 tsp. granulated garlic or 2 garlic cloves, minced
  • 5 large eggs
  • 1 cup sour cream (I used light, but you can use whatever kind you like)
  • 1 tsp. black pepper
  • 1/2 tsp. salt
  • 1/2 tsp. ground nutmeg
Preheat oven to 400 degrees.  Unroll the pie crust and press into a greased pie plate - DO NOT prick bottom with a fork!










Layer the spinach, the onion, the bacon, the herbes de provence, and the garlic on the bottom of the pie crust.  
















Top with the cheese.  









In a medium sized bowl whisk the eggs, the sour cream, the salt, the pepper, and the nutmeg together until smooth.  











Pour over the mixture in the pie plate and spread evenly. 

















Bake in the preheated oven 35-45 minutes or until set, and a knife inserted into the center comes out clean.  





I usually serve quiche with a tossed salad with vinaigrette dressing.  My vinaigrette dressing also comes from my French mom Pauline.  She taught me pretty much everything I know about French cooking.  It is super easy:

Authentic French Vinaigrette
  • 3 parts olive oil 
  • 1 part vinegar (like balsamic, red wine, or white wine)
  • 1/2 part dijon mustard
  • 1/2 part herbes de provence
  • salt and pepper to taste
Whisk all the ingredients together and serve over salad greens.  When I say "parts" that means three of however much you want to make.  So if I say three parts oil, and I want to make enough for 1 salad, I would do three large spoonfuls of oil, one large spoonful of vinegar, 1/2 large spoonful of dijon mustard, etc.  



I make lots of different kinds of quiche.  I do Quiche Lorraine with thick sliced bacon and onions; mushroom quiche, smoked salmon quiche.  I will probably post more quiche recipes as the summer goes on, as we eat a lot of quiche in the summertime!








Until next time, happy and HEALTHY cooking everyone!

















2 comments:

Heather said...

Looks delish. I love quiche, hot or cold! I'm sure it was better than the one I two weeks ago at the french restaurant we ate at.

The Redhead Riter said...

Yum! That looks so delicious!

The Foodie Mommie Copyright © 2009 Designed by Ipietoon Blogger Template for Bie Blogger Template Vector by DaPino