Abridged Boeuf Bourguignon

Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Boeuf Bourguignon (or in English, Beef Burgundy) is one of my FAVORITE French dishes.  It is basically the French's version of beef stew but sooooooo much better because it is made with Burgundy wine.  My friends from the Burgundy region of France (Bourgogne) would definitely be angry with me for making it this way (hence the reason why I call it "abridged") but this is a quicker no worries version that comes out tasting just as yummy.  Please remember that I don't measure anything so measurements are approximate.

Abridged Boeuf Bourguignon (made in the slow cooker)
  • 2 lbs beef stew meat, cubed (I used bottom round steaks because that is what I had in the freezer)
  • 1 medium onion, chopped
  • 4 garlic cloves, minced
  • 6 slices bacon
  • 1 cup baby carrots, left whole
  • 1 cup red Burgundy wine like Macon Villages, Pinot Noir, or Cotes du Rhone
  • 1 (6 oz) can tomato paste
  • 1 cup beef stock or broth
  • 2 tbsp. herbes de provence
  • 1 tbsp. granulated garlic
  • 4 tbsp. butter, cut into 1 tbsp. sections
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • egg noodles, rice, or mashed potatoes for serving (I served it over Wacky Mac, cause well, I got it for free).
Place bacon slices between two paper towels and microwave on high for approximately 1 minute per slice.  Crumble bacon and set aside.  Place onion, carrots, and garlic cloves in the bottom of the slow cooker.  Add beef and bacon on top of veggies.  In a small bowl mix tomato paste, beef stock, herbes de provence and granulated garlic.  Pour over meat and veggies. Pour wine into crock pot over meat and veggies.  Place pads of butter in the crock pot.  Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours.  Traditionally Boeuf Bourguignon is served over mashed or boiled potatoes but I happen to like it over noodles.  It can also be served over rice. 
Enjoy! Until next time, happy and HEALTHY cooking!



As an added bonus, if you are a follower or become a follower of my blog, I will throw in an extra coupon or package if you are picked!

0 comments:

The Foodie Mommie Copyright © 2009 Designed by Ipietoon Blogger Template for Bie Blogger Template Vector by DaPino