One note before sharing the recipe is that I used dark chocolate cocoa powder because I love dark chocolate, but you can use any type of cocoa powder you like. Now...onto the recipe...because we all love birthday cake!
CLEAN Chocolate Cake with CLEAN Whipped Chocolate Buttercream Frosting
For the cake
- 1 1/2 cups cake flour (I used Bob's Red Mill)
- 1 1/2 cups organic fine raw sugar (or granulated sugar)
- 1 cup cocoa powder (I used Dagoba)
- 1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. salt
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 1/4 cup vanilla yogurt (I used organic Greek vanilla)
- 2 eggs (it is best to use eggs at room temperature)
- 1/2 cup coconut oil, melted
- 1 tbsp. pure vanilla extract
- 3/4 decaf coffee or hot chocolate, HOT (I used organic hot chocolate)
Preheat oven to 350, generously grease two round cake pans with butter and set aside. Sift together the dry ingredients (the first 6) into a medium bowl and set aside. In a stand mixer with a paddle attachment (or you could use a hand mixer too), mix together the buttermilk, yogurt, eggs, oil, and vanilla until very smooth. Slowly add the dry ingredients to the wet and beat for a full 2 minutes once incorporated. Add the coffee or hot chocolate and mix until just combined. Pour batter evenly into prepared cake pans and bake for 30-35 minutes until set in the middle and a cake tester comes out clean. Allow to cool 30 minutes, then carefully remove cakes to a wire rack to finish cooling. Allow to cool completely before frosting.
For the frosting
- 1/4 cup cake flour (I used Bob's Red Mill)
- 2/3 cup cocoa powder (I used Dagoba)
- 1 1/2 cups milk (or you can use cream if you want it extra rich)
- 3 sticks butter, at room temperature
- 1 1/2 cups fine raw sugar (or granulated)
- 1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
In a small saucepan, whisk together the flour and cocoa powder over medium heat until very thick (like pancake batter thick) and glossy. Add the vanilla and whisk to incorporate. Remove from heat and allow to cool completely. In a stand mixer (or with a hand mixer), beat the butter and the sugar together for a full 5 minutes, until light and fluffy. Add the cooled chocolate mixture to the butter and sugar mixture and beat for a full 5 minutes, scraping down the sides to make sure it all gets whipped together. The mixture will turn light and glossy. Place in the refrigerator for 10 minutes. You are ready to frost your cake!
To assemble the cake
Place one cake round on a large plate or cake pedestal. I like to cut off the top to make it more even, so the second round will lay flat on the bottom round. Spread the top of the cake round with frosting then place the second round on top of the first with the dome side up. Frost the rest of the cake, tops and sides. Decorate as you see fit!
And there you have it! A CLEAN birthday cake! Enjoy!
Until next time, happy and healthy cooking!