Spaghetti O's

Tuesday, September 02, 2014

Spaghetti O's, that can of pasta every '80s kid knows.  I can see how these were popular with '80s kids and even more so with '80s moms- they're small, fun shaped, and SUPER easy to prepare.  Back in the day, they probably didn't have all the disgusting and questionable ingredients in them that they have today either.   Recently I've seen recipes for homemade Spaghetti O's popping up on blogs.  I was never a huge Spaghetti O's eater back in the '80s, but they were certainly a staple of most kitchen pantries back in the day.  Recently I was in Trader Joe's and I noticed a Trader Joe's version- Trader Joe's O's.  I thought to myself, with the resurgence of Spaghetti O's popularity, I should try my hand at making my own!  And so I did, and the result was AWESOME!  My kids LOVE them and my version doesn't have any of the nasty ingredients that the original Campbell's Spaghetti O's has.  NO HFCS in my version!  

Spaghetti O's



  • 16 oz plain tomato sauce 
  • 1/4 cup milk
  • 1/2 tsp. onion powder
  • 1/2 tsp. paprika
  • 2 tbsp honey (or sugar)
  • 1 tsp. salt
  • 3 tbsp. butter
  • 16 oz. Anelletti (O shaped pasta) or small pasta like ditalini (which is what I used.  Anelletti can be a little difficult to find)
Noah approved!
Cook pasta according to package directions, drain, and set aside.  In a small saucepan, mix together all the ingredients (except the pasta), and bring to a simmer, stirring frequently until the butter is melted.  Once hot and butter is melted, add the pasta to the sauce and stir to coat.  Serve warm.  If reheating leftovers, add a couple of tablespoons of milk before reheating to loosen up the sauce.  Serve with a sprinkling of grated cheese if desired!  

Until next time, happy and healthy cooking!

0 comments:

The Foodie Mommie Copyright © 2009 Designed by Ipietoon Blogger Template for Bie Blogger Template Vector by DaPino