Cheesy Squid Dogs

Sunday, July 15, 2012

Happy Sunday!

I hope everyone is enjoying a nice, relaxing weekend!  I've been so busy lately that I am glad to have a slow Sunday morning to relax before going to church.  Anyway, I found the idea for this recipe on Pinterest and I thought, "that's interesting."  The original recipe uses hot dogs, which, are completely against my food rules.  Hot dogs are GROSS in my opinion and I totally freaked out on my husband when he tried to give my son a hot dog at a barbecue one time.  Anyway, Hy-Vee just started selling these all natural casing smoked sausages.  You can get a beef and pork one or a cheddar chicken one.   I bought a package of the cheddar chicken sausages and used those in place of the hot dogs.  Now as a Foodie, I wasn't a huge fan, but Daniel LOVED these.  He was able to help me make them and he cleaned his plate then asked for "more squid dogs pwease!"  This is a great idea for kids who love to help in the kitchen! 

Cheesy Squid Dogs
  • 1 (16 oz) pkg Spaghetti (I use Ronzoni Smart Pasta)
  • 1 pkg all natural smoked sausages of your choice (I used Wimmers Natural Casing sausages- you could also use hot dogs if you don't have the qualms with them that I have).
  • 1 tbsp. butter
  • 1/4 cup shredded cheese of your choice (I used a mixture of cheddar and jack)
 Set a large pot of water to boil on the stove.  
Break the spaghetti in half.  Cut the sausages into bite sized pieces and thread several pieced of dried spaghetti through each piece of sausage.  
Once your water is boiling, place all the sausages threaded with spaghetti in the water and boil about 6 minutes or until spaghetti is thoroughly cooked.  Drain, just as you would normal pasta, and place back into the large pot.  Add the butter and the cheese and stir until cheese is melted.  Serve to your kids who will think it's the greatest meal EVER!


Just a reminder, I started a new blog!  It's called Elizabeth's Beautiful Life and I hope you will check it out!  I have an AWESOME giveaway deal going on over there right now!  I'd love to hear what you think!  


Until next time, Happy and HEALTHY cooking and EATING!

2 comments:

The Twins said...

That recipe looks really fun! Daniel looked like he REALLY enjoyed them! :) Your blog is awesome!

Abby and Erin

P.S. Check out our blog at www.asweettasteofheaven.blogspot.com

The Twins said...

Those are so CUTE! It looks like Daniel REALLY enjoyed them!

-Abby and Erin

P.S. Check out our blog at www.asweettasteofheaven.blogspot.com

The Foodie Mommie Copyright © 2009 Designed by Ipietoon Blogger Template for Bie Blogger Template Vector by DaPino