AWESOME JANUARY PAMPERED CHEF GIVEAWAY AND SALE!! WIN THE FREE PRODUCT VALUE FROM THE SALE (POSSIBILITY OF $15 TO UP TO $250 IN FREE PRODUCTS!) HEAD OVER TO THE FOODIE MOMMIE STORE FOR MORE DETAILS!
I got the idea for this recipe from Betty Crocker. It sounded really yummy but it had a lot of ingredients that were on my "yucky no no" list, so I decided to make it over into a Foodie Mommie version! This is a great use up for leftover mashed potatoes, and it comes together in a flash! What a hit this turned out to be! YUM!
Taco Shepherd's Pie
- 1 lb ground turkey (or you can use extra lean ground beef)
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 cup salsa
- 1 (15 oz) can black beans
- 1 (6 oz) can diced green chilies
- 1/2 cup frozen (or fresh) corn
- 1 pkg. taco seasoning (make sure it is MSG free!)
- 2 cups plain mashed potatoes (I boil whatever potatoes I have on hand and then mash them)
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1/2 cup sour cream (plus more for serving if desired)
- 1 cup crushed tortilla chips (I like to use blue chips)
Preheat oven to 400 degrees. In a large, oven proof skillet, cook the turkey and onion over medium high heat until the turkey is no longer pink. Add taco seasoning, the salsa, the black beans, the green chilies and the corn. Allow to simmer over low heat to heat through for about 5 minutes. In the meantime, mix the mashed potatoes with half of the cheese and the sour cream. Spread the mashed potatoes evenly over the taco meat. Top with the remaining cheese and tortilla chips. Transfer to the oven and bake until cheese is melted and bubbly.