- 1 lb ground beef
- 1/2 cup fresh bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup minced onion
- 1 egg
- 1 tbsp onion soup mix (msg free)
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tsp. granulated garlic or garlic powder
- 2 tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 2 carrots, peeled and diced
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 tbsp. tomato paste
- 1 (8oz) pkg sliced mushrooms (I left these out because David HATES mushrooms)
- 1/2 cup dry red or white wine (I used white cause that is what I had on hand but red would be quite lovely as well).
- 2 cups beef broth or stock
- 3 tbsp onion soup mix (msg free)
- 1 tbsp flour (I like to use Wondra but you can use all purpose)
To form the patties, combine all of the ingredients for "patties" except the olive oil. I mix it with my hands to make sure it is well combined. Form into four oval-shaped patties. Heat the olive oil in a deep sided skillet over medium high heat. Add the patties and cook 3-4 minutes on each side or until just browned. Remove meat and cover with foil to keep warm. Add the onion and carrots to the skillet and saute until onions are translucent. Add the wine to deglaze the pan, scraping up all the brown bits, and allow to reduce by half. Add the tomato paste and whisk together. Whisk together the flour and the beef stock, then add it to the skillet and continue to whisk until starting to thicken. Add the soup mix, and stir. Add the patties back into the skillet, carefully turning to coat with the sauce. Cover and simmer on medium low heat for about 10 minutes or until meat is cooked through (internal temperature is 160 degrees fahrenheit).
Happy and HEALTHY cooking and EATING!