Happy Halloween! Bat Wings and Eyeballs!

Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Be sure to head over to The Foodie Mommie Store to take advantage of the November Pampered Chef Sale!  Order by November 15th and get 10% off!


This is a fun Halloween recipe that I made over a couple of years back.  I cannot take credit for the idea, but I can say that the way I make it now is pretty much my own.  I am not sure where I found this recipe, but I always make it around Halloween and it is always a hit!  The leftovers are even better!  I renamed it Bat Wings with Eyeballs because it is made with Farfalle pasta (bat wings) and I use little balls of fresh mozzarella and sliced black olives to form the "eyeballs."  Unfortunately this evening I was doing two things at once, and baked it a little too long, so my "eyeballs" melted. That's ok though, it was still a hit!

Bat Wings and Eyeballs
  • 1 pkg. Farfalle (bowtie) pasta
  • 1 lb. ground turkey (or beef)
  • 1 large (28 oz) can whole tomatoes
  • 1 (6 oz) can tomato paste
  • 1 onion, chopped
  • 6 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 tbsp. Italian herbs
  • 2 oz. cream cheese
  • 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella
  • 1/2 cup shredded parmesan
  • 12 small balls of fresh mozzarella (ciliegine)
  •  9 sliced black olives (from a small can)
  • 1 tbsp. olive oil
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees and spray a large baking dish with cooking spray.  Cook the pasta according to package directions, drain, and set aside. In a large, deep sided skillet, heat the olive oil over medium high heat.  Cook the onion, garlic, and ground turkey until the turkey is no longer pink and the onions are translucent.  Add the tomatoes, tomato paste, and herbs.  Turn heat down to medium heat and allow to simmer for 10-15 minutes stirring frequently.  Add the cream cheese and mix until melted sauce is creamy.  Mix the pasta and the sauce together in the baking dish.  Top with the shredded cheeses.  Make four rows of three mozzarella balls and top each ball with an olive to form the "eyeballs."  Bake for 10 minutes or until the mozzarella is just starting to melt.  Yummy!

Until next time, happy and HEALTHY cooking and EATING!



0 comments:

The Foodie Mommie Copyright © 2009 Designed by Ipietoon Blogger Template for Bie Blogger Template Vector by DaPino