Good Old Chicken Noodle Soup

Wednesday, September 29, 2010

I LOVE homemade chicken noodle soup.  I make a big pot of it a couple of times a year just to have in case anyone is sick.  Tonight I made this delicious soup to use up the rest of the chicken I roasted yesterday for the Chicken Divan Mac and Cheese recipe.  You definitely cannot go wrong with this recipe!


Good Old Chicken Noodle Soup


1 recipe chicken stock
3 cups cooked chicken (I use the meat from the chicken I used to make the stock)
2 cups carrots, chopped
2 celery stalks, chopped
1 onion, chopped
1 cup chopped leafy greens (like escarole, chard, kale, spinach, or a mixture)
1 (14.5 oz) can great northern beans, drained
2 cups egg noodles (if I don't make my own, I usually use Reams frozen egg noodles, but you can use whatever egg noodles you like)


In  a large soup pot, heat the stock over high heat until boiling. Turn heat down to medium high. Add all of the ingredients except for the leafy greens and the egg noodles and bring back to a boil.  Once boiling, turn heat down to low and allow to simmer for at least one hour and no more than 3 hours.  Add the noodles and the leafy greens and continue to simmer until noodles are cooked through (usually about 20 minutes for the homemade or frozen noodles and about half that for the packaged ones).  I like to garnish this soup with fishy crackers and serve it with some hot bread.  YUMMY!


Until next time, happy and HEALTHY cooking and EATING!

1 comments:

Mama.Mommy.Mom. said...

I love a good chicken soup! I'm a new follower from Welcome Wednesday :-)

The Foodie Mommie Copyright © 2009 Designed by Ipietoon Blogger Template for Bie Blogger Template Vector by DaPino