Spaghetti Caprese

Tuesday, August 10, 2010

It has been SO hot here and oppressively humid.  I haven't really been cooking because despite the fact that I have air conditioning, it doesn't seem to be doing much to put a dent in the heat.  I swear you go outside and you can't even breathe, it feels like it is about 900 degrees outside.  It's like walking straight into a steam bath.  Anyway, I decided to actually cook tonight cause I was getting pretty tired of salad.  That's what we've been eating, several different varieties of salad. 
Yesterday we got some lovely tomatoes and basil from Abbe Hills and I had some fresh mozzarella (that I made myself I might add) in the fridge.  I mixed those two things with minced garlic, sweet summer onions, and thick spaghetti and came up with a pasta dish that is summer in a bowl.

Spaghetti Caprese
  • 1 lb thick spaghetti (or you could use regular if you want)
  • 1 medium sweet onion, diced
  • 4 cloves garlic, minced
  • 6 oz fresh mozzarella, cut into chunks
  • 2 medium vine ripened tomatoes, roughly chopped
  • 1 stem of fresh basil, leaves removed, and roughly chopped
  • 1/2 cup dry white wine
  • 1 tbsp. olive oil
Cook pasta and drain according to package directions, reserving 1/2 of the cooking liquid.  In a large, deep sided skillet, saute the onions and garlic in the olive oil until the onions are soft, about 2 minutes.  Add the wine and cook to reduce by half, about 5 minutes.  Add the tomatoes and continue to saute until the tomatoes become saucy, about 5 more minutes.  Add the pasta to the tomato mixture and the cooking liquid and mix well.  Add the mozzarella and basil.  Stir until the mozzarella is just starting to melt.  Serve with sprinkling of parmesan if desired.  Yummm!

On another note, I am going to need a few people to test out some of my baking mixes before I start selling them.  Would anyone be willing to do this?  If so, please e-mail me.  In addition, does anyone out there already sell food products on their blogs?  I was just made aware that there are all sorts of regulations but I cannot seem to find anything specific.  I am not a business, just a mom wanting to make a little extra money, so I am not sure what the rules are.  I fear my entrepreneurial spirit and creativity may be clouding reality.  Does anyone have any advice about all of this?  I really need to get all of this worked out before I open my store. 
Thanks so much!
Until next time, happy and HEALTHY cooking and EATING!

1 comments:

nomo wino daph said...

I've never heard of this before! I bet it would be delish...may have to try it out on my family real soon:)

The Foodie Mommie Copyright © 2009 Designed by Ipietoon Blogger Template for Bie Blogger Template Vector by DaPino