Baked Turkey (or chicken) Chimichangas

Thursday, July 08, 2010

Hello Dear Readers!  So before I talk about tonight's recipe, I have to share a little story.  I am SO proud of myself!  Tonight during dinner prep, things were very hectic, Daniel was in a mood because he was hungry, crying and saying "eat! eat!"  So of course, it is at that moment when my garbage disposal decided to die.  Panicking, I didn't want David to come home after a long day at work and have to fix the garbage disposal so I put on my thinking cap, took a deep breath, and made the decision to try and figure out what was wrong with it myself.  I pulled up the service manual online, called the company, and they told me how to fix it.  I found the right tools in David's toolbox, and got under the sink, praying that it didn't break further.  Guess what?  I was able to fix it!  Yay!  Go me!


Now onto tonight's recipe.  This is one I have been making forever.  It is such a great throw together meal for a busy evening, and the leftovers make for a perfect lunch the next day.  As much as I don't like the deli counter, I do happen to make this dish with deli turkey, however you can just as easily make it with a grocery store rotisserie chicken.  If you are buying turkey from the deli, be sure to ask them to cut it fresh for you, that way you can avoid all the yucky stuff that grows on turkey that has been sitting out.  Tonight I served it with broccoli, but sometimes I make a side salad to go with it, it just depends on what I have on hand.  


Baked Turkey Chimichangas



  • 1/2 lb deli turkey or rotisserie chicken
  • 4 scallions, chopped
  • 1 can pinto beans, drained
  • 2 cups shredded cabbage (you could use coleslaw cabbage)
  • 1 (8 oz) jar of salsa
  • 1 cup shredded cheese
  • 1 (6 oz) can diced green chilies
  • 1/8 cup olive oil (you probably won't use all of this)
  • 6 large flour tortillas (I used jalapeno cheddar wraps tonight)
Preheat the oven to 425 degrees and line a cookie sheet with aluminum foil.  Spray generously with cooking spray and set aside.  In a bowl, mix the rest of the ingredients except the olive oil and the tortillas.  Place a heaping mound of filling into the middle of one tortilla.  Fold in the sides and then roll up and tuck the ends under.  Place seam side down on the cookie sheet.  Repeat with remaining tortillas.  Brush tops of chimichangas with the olive oil (this will help them brown up in the oven).  Bake for 10-15 minutes or until brown and crispy on top.  Serve with a dollop of sour cream!

Until next time, happy and HEALTHY cooking and EATING!

7 comments:

Tammy said...

Yum...that looks so good! Thanks for linking up with us today for TFAG. I am your newest follower. Can't wait to come back and take a look around at all your recipes. They sound delish!

Jamie said...

Hello! I am following you from Keepin'Company Thursday. I look forward to reading. My husband went to culinary school and is a family and consumer science teacher so we are always interested in new recipes!
http://mommasdramatimes2.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

OMG, I remember this recipe. We both made it 6 1/2 years ago after seeing it on Rachel Ray. I can't believe it was that long ago. I only made it the one time. I like this variation better. Maybe I'll try it again. -Heather

Unknown said...

Yah, except if I remember correctly after the first time I made it I changed it drastically because it was really gross, like most of her recipes. She also made hers in the toaster oven, I just make mine in the regular oven.

Lynn said...

Mmm, this looks good. From the picture, it looks like your little guy thinks so, too :) And I am SO impressed you fixed the garbage disposal!

cooperl788 said...

That looks delicious! I'm adding it to next week's menu. Stopping by from Follow Me Chickadee, and I'm your new follower! Come stop by my blog if you get a chance :)

http://gruneisenfamily.blogspot.com

Colleen (Shibley Smiles) said...

Who doesn't need healthy recipes! Thanks.

Following from blog hop Thanks, Mail Carrier

http://shibleysmiles.blogspot.com/

The Foodie Mommie Copyright © 2009 Designed by Ipietoon Blogger Template for Bie Blogger Template Vector by DaPino