Steak Rollatini with Arugula Gorgonzola Pesto and Sort of Pepper Sauce
- 2 lbs steak, any cut you like (I used bottom round because I had it in the freezer but it was a bit tough in this recipe so I think I will use sirloin next time or tenderloin)
- 2 cups arugula
- 4 oz gorgonzola, crumbled
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/2 cup red wine (I used a pinot noir- you can use any kind you like)
- 2 tsp. garlic powder, divided
- 1/2 medium onion, chopped
- 1 tbsp. peppercorns (any color you like, I used black because that is what I had on hand)
- 1/4 cup + 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp. butter divided
- 1/4 cup sour cream or heavy cream
- 1 tbsp. herbes de provence
- salt and pepper to taste
Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Place each steak between two large pieces of plastic wrap and pound out until 1/4 inch thick, and set aside.
In a food processor, add the arugula, the gorgonzola, and the walnuts.
Process, streaming in the 1/4 cup olive oil until mixture is smooth.
Spread the mixture on one side of each of the steaks.
Roll steaks up and secure with toothpicks. Sprinkle steaks with half of the garlic powder and salt and pepper. Heat 1 tbsp. butter and 2 tbsp. olive oil in an ovenproof skillet over medium high heat. Sear the steaks about 30 seconds on each side until golden brown. Remove the steaks to a plate and set aside. In the skillet add the onion and cook about 1 minute or until starting to sweat. Add the wine and deglaze the pan. Cook another minute or two until the wine has reduced by half. Add the peppercorns and steaks back into the skillet. Cover the skillet and place in the oven and allow to braise about 10 minutes. Remove the skillet from the oven, remove the steaks to a plate and keep warm.
Put the skillet back on the stove, add the butter, sour cream, and herbes de provence and whisk together until slightly thickened (this will be a thin sauce, but will thicken just slightly). Remove the toothpicks from the steaks and cut into strips widthwise. Pour sauce over the rollatini.
Voila, a very delicious meal, and fancy too!
On another note, I have a really awesome giveaway coming up sometime in the next two weeks sponsored by the Evergreen Baby and Family Boutique. This will be the perfect prize for those of you who want to make your own baby food! Stay tuned! Thanks for reading everyone! Until next time, happy and HEALTHY cooking and EATING!