A Burger Fit for Daddy

Saturday, June 19, 2010

Hello Loyal Readers! Look at this storm that blew through last night!  It was REALLY cool, but also quite nasty.  Anyway...
Before I get started, I would like to take the opportunity to welcome all of my new followers, WELCOME!  Thanks for joining me! And a BIG THANK YOU to all of you who return again and again!  I sincerely appreciate you all!
 I would also like to wish all of my Foodie Daddy readers out there HAPPY FATHERS DAY!  And in honor of Fathers Day, I have come up with a burger fit for a daddy!  The daddy in your life will go absolutely bonkers over these easy and delicious burgers stuffed with caramelized onions and sharp cheddar.  I served them up with a tossed green salad and oven fries.  Yummmmm!


Burgers Stuffed with Caramelized Onions and Sharp Cheddar

  • 1.5 lbs ground beef or ground turkey (I used turkey)
  • 2 tbsp. garlic powder
  • 1 tsp. onion powder
  • 2 tbsp. herbes de provence
  • 1 tbsp. Worcestershire sauce 
  • 1 tsp. dijon mustard
  • 1/2 cup sharp cheddar, grated and divided
  • 1 large sweet onion, sliced
  • 2 tbsp. butter (use only 1 tbsp. if grilling on outdoor grill)
  • 2 tbsp. olive oil (same as with the butter)
  • 1/8 c. dry white wine
Saute the sliced onions in 1 tbsp. of the butter and 1 tbsp. olive oil over medium high heat.  Once the onions start to sweat, add the wine, turn down to medium heat, and cover.  









Let simmer, stirring occasionally until the onions are very soft and brown, about 20 minutes.  


While onions are cooking, in a medium bowl, mix the ground turkey or beef with the onion powder, garlic powder, herbes de provence, Worcestershire sauce, and dijon mustard.  Mix together with your hands until well incorporated.  Divide the meat mixture into 8 rounds.  







Press the rounds out into very thin circles with your hands.  Top 4 of the rounds with 1/4 of the onions and 1/4 of the cheese.  Cover the onions and cheese with another of the rounds. 









 Press the two rounds together around the edges with a fork to seal closed.  If cooking on a grill pan, heat the remaining butter and olive oil over medium high heat. 










 Cook the burgers about 5 minutes on each side, or until cooked through.  If you are grilling them on an outdoor grill, spray with cooking spray and cook over medium high heat until cooked through 5-10 minutes on each side.  Be careful, they will be slightly fragile until cooked.  It is ok if some of the filling seeps out.  





Serve on your favorite bun with your favorite condiments!  Yummy!












In honor of Fathers Day, I would like to feature a picture of my favorite little guy Daniel (we call him Boonie) and his daddy - my husband David.  
Until next time, happy and HEALTHY cooking and EATING!


5 comments:

Cannwin said...

We had a storm up here in SD last week that blew down trees all over town. And a tree in my backyard got struck by lightening.

That just never happened in Idaho where I grew up. :)

Unknown said...

Yah, it was pretty nasty. A ton of people lost power and the thunder and lightening were amazing. That is one good thing about living in the Midwest, the storms are really cool!

Cannwin said...

They scare my daughter to death. And every time there is even a blip from the sirens she comes screaming into our bedroom. ::sigh::

Otherwise the storms are awesome. (does that word date me?)

Unknown said...

Yah, I don't like the sirens either. Tornadoes terrify me, I just like the thunderstorms. They don't even phase my son which is amazing.

January Asia said...

Very lovely picture of your husband and your son.

The post about "the Versatile Blogger Award" is up. See for yourself:
http://caffeinatedglobe.blogspot.com/2010/06/versatile-blogger-award-bestowed-on.html

One more time, thanks for passing along the award to us.

January Asia & Steven Hui

The Foodie Mommie Copyright © 2009 Designed by Ipietoon Blogger Template for Bie Blogger Template Vector by DaPino